Are there any known issues where the Smartsheet calc engine produces incorrect results?

I have encountered a scenario in a sheet where the calc engine is undoubtedly producing an incorrect result. I've opened a ticket with support but I have an impending demo so am hoping someone here might have some experience with this sort of thing, OR can provide some insight into how long one usually has to wait to get a ticket noticed by support.

FWIW: I am working with a small sheet (less than 50 rows), and this simple function is yielding an incorrect result (returns two larger than exists on the sheet, including if I literally overwrite every cell in column [isSurveyRow] with a hardcoded "false" (it then returns "2"), confirming this is a bug in the engine):

=COUNTIF(isSurveyRow:isSurveyRow, "true")

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide some screenshots for context? Have you double checked to make sure there are no filters in place?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• It's not very helpful, but here's a screenshot.

The formula is: =COUNTIF(isSurveyRow:isSurveyRow, "true")

I can physically count the cells that are "true", and it is 10, not 12. If I overwrite all of the cells with "false", so 100% of the cells in the column are "false", the formula will return "2".

• Update: I WAS WRONG!

The root of the problem was that I was using row indentation in my primary column, and I didn't notice I had some rows collapsed where some values were hidden. The part that made it so confusing is that I had created a debug column, set the first one equal to the "bad" column, then copied it down, and then that one worked properly. HOWEVER, the reason that it worked properly is that when pasting, collapsed rows do not participate in the paste (so the 2 hidden row values didn't have the formula in the debug row).

Alexander from Smartsheet support was very helpful in debugging the situation and eventually finding the problem.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My next question was going to be about hierarchy if you had said no to filters. Glad you were able to get it sorted.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!