Indenting Auto Number Column Type in Smartsheets

I have created a Bug & Issues log for a project I'm working on. Within that sheet I have a column for "Store #". There are many instances where different stores have the same issue and I want to be able to report on that information. Right now, if multiple stores have the same issue, people are just adding the store numbers to that line item within the Store # cell. There might be 6 different store numbers listed in a single cell. However, I need to report out this information at the store level. I thought I could just add blank lines beneath the "main" bug/issue and then indent the line, but it doesn't work. Is this a restriction due to the column type? The only thing I can think of is that there is an "Auto Number" column type on the sheet that is preventing it.

Answers

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BethWork

Hello,

If you set up the source sheet with this type of database structure, you can use a report to group the issues, providing a supplement to your parent/child relationship.

• BethWork
    BethWork ✭✭✭✭

@MichaelTCA

What I'm ultimately trying to solve for is not having this sheet be so large while also being able to create a report and see the issues on a store level. We meet on a daily basis and update the ticket notes individually which is a lot to scroll through. The reason I wanted to have a parent issue and 10 rows indented underneath is because I can then collapse the parent row. It would also still allow me to report on the individual stores that way.

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/22/24

@BethWork

In that case, you will need a source sheet for the data, like I had shown.

You will also need another sheet to consolidate the data that you can work out of and create a report from this sheet.

There's not really a way to make a lot of data look like a little without developing another sheet for analytics or summaries. If that's the sheet you want to use and have the data only stored in that one sheet, then you'll just have to work with it and continuously archive completed issues for clarity.

Maybe Andree has some better advice. @Andrée Starå