formula to return a value based on highest score

Options

Hi Smartsheet community,

I am trying to create a formula to accomplish the below:

there are 3 'scores' based on users filling out a form, I want smartsheet to determine the highest of the 3 scores and return a value accordingly

there are 3 scores, kinesthetic, auditory, and visual. whichever value is highest, I want the value to be populated in a column. below is the formula i tried to write, but it's not working

=IF(OR(AND([Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row > [Auditory Total]@row, [Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row > [Visual Total]@row), "Kinesthetic Learner"), IF(AND([Auditory Total]@row > [Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row, [Auditory Total]@row > [Visual Total]@row), "Auditory Learner"), IF(AND([Visual Total]@row > [Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row, [Visual Total]@row > [Auditory Total]@row), "Visual Learner"))

Best Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

=IF(AND([Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row > [Auditory Total]@row, [Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row > [Visual Total]@row),"Kinesthetic Learner",IF(And([Auditory Total]@row > [Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row, [Auditory Total]@row > [Visual Total]@row),"Auditory Learner",If(And([Visual Total]@row > [Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row, [Visual Total]@row > [Auditory Total]@row),"Visual Learner")))

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Here is another way to write it that uses a different logic. Basically we pull the MAX score from each of the three and use a nested IF to say if the one score is equal to the MAX of all three, output the one (so on and so forth).

=IF([Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row = MAX([Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row, [Auditory Total]@row, [Visual Total]@row), "Kinesthetic Learner", IF([Auditory Total]@row = MAX([Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row, [Auditory Total]@row, [Visual Total]@row), "Auditory Learner", "Visual Learner"))

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

=IF(AND([Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row > [Auditory Total]@row, [Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row > [Visual Total]@row),"Kinesthetic Learner",IF(And([Auditory Total]@row > [Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row, [Auditory Total]@row > [Visual Total]@row),"Auditory Learner",If(And([Visual Total]@row > [Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row, [Visual Total]@row > [Auditory Total]@row),"Visual Learner")))

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• BrigitteM
    BrigitteM ✭✭✭
    Options

@mark.poole thank you!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Here is another way to write it that uses a different logic. Basically we pull the MAX score from each of the three and use a nested IF to say if the one score is equal to the MAX of all three, output the one (so on and so forth).

=IF([Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row = MAX([Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row, [Auditory Total]@row, [Visual Total]@row), "Kinesthetic Learner", IF([Auditory Total]@row = MAX([Kinesthetic Learner Score]@row, [Auditory Total]@row, [Visual Total]@row), "Auditory Learner", "Visual Learner"))

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/23/24
    Options

I thought about using the Max function, but was unsure on how to do it across multiple columns. That is why you are the GOAT @Paul Newcome

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mark.poole I do the same thing sometimes. I usually end up having to get much more complex and forget the most basic uses of MAX/MIN/AVG are that they can handle multiple cell references.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!