How to unlink parent field from child field - prevent parent field from being filled

slsny support
slsny support ✭✭
edited 05/24/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I have a parent field that is auto populating based on a chile row expiration date. I would like for the parent expiration date to remain blank while the child rows expiration dates are filled out. Could someone assist in getting this to work for me?

I've attached the row structure and the error message I get when trying to delete the expiration date on the parent row:

Best Answer

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    Answer ✓

It's because you have Dependencies enabled in the Project settings for that sheet. When you enable that, Smartsheet controls and rolls up the dates defined as Start and End dates.

So your options are to either turn off Dependencies, or use different columns for the project start/end.

You can get to the settings by changing to Gantt View and click the settings gear icon at the top right of the sheet.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    Answer ✓

It's because you have Dependencies enabled in the Project settings for that sheet. When you enable that, Smartsheet controls and rolls up the dates defined as Start and End dates.

So your options are to either turn off Dependencies, or use different columns for the project start/end.

You can get to the settings by changing to Gantt View and click the settings gear icon at the top right of the sheet.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN