Data Shuttle with duplicate entries

Brack
Brack ✭✭
edited 05/24/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

I am running data mesh and when I run it, it only finds the first set up numbers even though I have duplicates within my target sheet. How do I get it to read all the duplicates and add the information from the source document? Any help will be GREAT!!!!!

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    edited 05/23/24

Perhaps you have the workflow in reverse by accident? Because Data Mesh will ignore duplicates in the source, but will definitely copy data over to duplicates in the destination…that's the whole function.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Brack
    Brack ✭✭

I have swapped my data source and getting the same results. I am clearly missing a step somewhere, I just can't figure out where.

• Brian_Richardson

If you want to post some screenshots of your setup and the source/destination sheets, we can try to troubleshoot together.

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Brack
    Brack ✭✭

This is what I am trying to fix. I know this is incredibly hard to explain. I am running my report off the Key Number but is it only finding it once. See how it did not fill in the second row in blue? it only polluted the first one it found.

if you can contact me at Amanda.brack@delta.com that would be greatly appreciated.

• Brack
    Brack ✭✭
    edited 05/28/24

This is my main document in SS.

I run the report from this sheet.

I use the Key column as my main column to search for since it is in both documents.

these are all my screen shots.

• Brian_Richardson

Ok - you're using Data Shuttle to import data, not Data Mesh to merge data. Data Shuttle works differently from Data Mesh. It will only do a one-row update for any given unique ID.

If you want to update multiple rows with the same Key number, then you'll need to use a different value for the unique identifier, perhaps that merges the Key and Mfg Part Number into a long unique ID that Data Shuttle can look for. You'll need that merged unique identifier in your source XLSX sheet and in your destination Smartsheet.

The other option is to use Replace instead of Update. That will set your destination Smartsheet sheet to be exactly the same as your source XLSX each time it runs, for the columns that you map.

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Brack
    Brack ✭✭

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. SS is acting crazy today so I will try and Data Mesh tomorrow. As you can see I am learning as I go. I do appreciate your help.

• Brian_Richardson

Yeah lots of stuff down today. You're welcome!

If you want to use Data Mesh instead, Data Mesh merges data between two Smartsheet sheets, not between an external XLSX and Smartsheet.

Data Shuttle is what you want if you're bringing data into Smartsheet from XLSX.

If you don't want to replace the data every time you import because you need to maintain history in SS, and you don't want to use a complex merged key (although that would still be my suggestion), then you could do a Data Shuttle import to a third sheet using Replace as the option, then use Data Mesh to merge that data into your final sheet. Data Mesh will do one-to-many, so everywhere it finds the Key it will update the data, even on multiple rows.

If it's still not working the way you want, feel free to throw time on my calendar and I'd be happy to walk through it with you in person.

https://calendar.app.google/f84X2Qtks2Y9CCQy6

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN