Simple or Not so simple subtraction formula needed..

First Image - I have created a helper column with a formula to generate a specific number (of days). This formula works.

Second Image - I have created a helper column with a formula to generate a number to show the difference between two dates. This formula works.

Third Image - I have created a column with a formulato subract the number from one column from the number in the other column. This formula does NOT work. It seems so simple, but i can't fathom this one out.

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Try removing your quotes from around the numbers in the first formula. Quotes around numbers output text strings that only look like number. Removing the quotes output numerical values which can be used in further mathematical calculations.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/24/24

@RT2 I cant quite see the column names. RCT helper should be 1 and age of request should be 0. Subtracting one column from the other is returning an invalid operation?

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Try removing your quotes from around the numbers in the first formula. Quotes around numbers output text strings that only look like number. Removing the quotes output numerical values which can be used in further mathematical calculations.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Thank you Paul, that has finally fixed my original issue.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!