ISNUMBER Formula Help

I have a sheet that has an INDEX look ups from another sheet for one of the look up Row (Target Install Start Date) will either have a Date or Text. In a new row I want to either use the date in a formal or just the text. I've done this in excel with =IF(ISNUMBER(G2),(G2+H2)-1,G2) but when I try to do this in Smartsheet always return the False statement and does not do the formula if true. Here is a screen shoot -

Answers

• Kleerfyre
    Kleerfyre ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So the ISNUMBER function isn't going to work the same way in Smartsheet as it does in Excel. A date isn't read as a number in Smartsheet, where in Excel it is read as a number. You will need to build your formula to account for that difference in logic.

Jonathan Sanders, CSM

"Change is always scary because it is unknown, but facing the unknown is what makes us stronger."

• Thank you that insight. I reversed the logic and used ISTEXT. It now works as expected.

• Devin Lee
    Devin Lee ✭✭✭✭✭

Use ISDATE instead of ISNUMBER

=IF(ISDATE([Target Install Start Date]@row), [Target Install Start Date]@row + [Estimated Install Days]@row - 1, [Target Install Start Date]@row)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!