Using Symbols in Column names and Data

Options

Hello,

I'm still learning my way around the Smartsheet resources, and not finding an answer to my specific scenario/question. In a nutshell, I have the task of a "small" rebranding request. One alpha acronym "ABC" will change to alpha plus a symbol, like this "A&C" (with an Ampersand sign).

The biggest problem I see in this change is several formulas in our Sheets keying on "ABC". This will require cleanup and re-validation that Reports and Dashboards are still pulling correct values when complete.

Are there any caveats or problems using "&" in a Column Name? Related to data linking, reports or otherwise?

I guess same question if I now need an "&" in cell Dropdown lists?

I'm mostly administering formulas, Sheets, Reports, and Dashboards to this point, not creating new, and would appreciate any feedback before I introduce a problem or headache by using "&".

Thanks!

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/03/24
    Options

as long as you have the [] around the column name for the formulas the & and other special symbols wont matter. Same for using "text" for text values in the formulas

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.