Cross-sheet references error

Hi,

My cross-sheet reference is only 3 in count but it says it has exceeded the limit. Why?

Error:

References actually in sheet:

How to resolve?

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/06/24

@neetuchopra05

How often are the references you have used in formulas? While you may only have 3 references If they are used multiple times across several formulas you can meet that limit faster.

Courtesy of the Smartsheet Learning Center. "Help.Smartsheet.com"

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2476606-formulas-reference-data-from-other-sheets#:~:text=A%20sheet%20can%20include%20no%20more%20than%20100,can%20include%20a%20maximum%20of%20100%2C000%20inbound%20cells.

Before you create cross sheet references

Ready to work with cross-sheet formulas? Keep these things in mind:

• You must have the required permissions. See the chart below. 
    • A sheet can include no more than 100 distinct cross-sheet references. 
    • A reference range can include a maximum of 100,000 inbound cells.
    • The following functions don’t support references from another sheet: CHILDREN, PARENT, ANCESTORS. Using a reference from another sheet with these functions will result in an #UNSUPPORTED CROSS-SHEET FORMULA error in the cell containing the formula.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• When a formula is used in Sheet A to reference sheet B, Sheet B says, 'Cross-sheet reference exceeds limit'. But it could be sheet A as well that consists of too many cross-references.

So, the sheet I was using formula in (Sheet A), it had many references. Deleted the ones not in use. And it worked!

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/06/24

IT would be sheet A that's causing the issue. Sheet could be referenced multiple times over multiple sheets. As each reference is actually unique to the sheet that is doing the referencing. Ex. 1 Sheet can ref sheet B and it be named {ABC}, another sheet could ref the same column in sheet b and be named {xyz}. Its the same column and sheet, how ever unique to the inbound sheet. This said I am glad that you were able to figure it out.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!