More than one Latest Comment column

Isis Taylor
Isis Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/11/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Is there a way to have more than one column on a sheet function in the same way that the Latest Comment column does? For example, we added a column for our third party partner to add notes and updates. Is is possible for the comments entered there to be tracked the same as the Latest comment entries?

Isis Taylor

Business Analyst Senior

Answers

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Isis Taylor, here's an approach that offers a similar outcome, but includes the whole comments history accumulating into a single cell in your main sheet (Sheet A for this illustration). This is done by having a Sheet B into which your third party would add their comments into [3rd Party Comments] via a form (with form entries placed at top of Sheet B; this is crucial so that latest entries are the most visible in Sheet A). Their multiple comments, on separate rows, are concatenated into a separate column in Sheet B, which is then cross-referenced from Sheet A.

You'll need a field (in this case [Client Code]) in both sheets that uniquely identifies the target row in Sheet A (there are multiple ways to do so). The following formula in [Collected Quick Notes] in Sheet B grabs the contents on all rows in Sheet B's [Quick Note] column. Then a cross-reference formula in Sheet A pulls the value of [Collected 3rd Party Comments] from Sheet B in instances where the rows match (again, in this case, [Client Code] in both sheets).

=JOIN(DISTINCT(COLLECT([3rd Party Comments]:[3rd Party Comments], [Client Code]:[Client Code], HAS(@cell, [Client Code]@row)), CHAR(10)), CHAR(10))

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope you're well and safe!

Not sure I follow!

Can you elaborate/share some screenshots?
    (Please delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD
    Did my comment(s) help/answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community and me by marking it - Insightful 💡- Vote Up ⬆️ - Aweseome ❤️ - or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! I appreciate it, thanks!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Isis Taylor
    Isis Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Cleversheet Thanks, I'm going to try that.

Isis Taylor

Business Analyst Senior