How can I merge two worksheets together?

Options

If unable to merge (which is what I have read) is there a way to compare column headers in a way that would highlight similar headers or point out differences? If unable to merge, nor compare, what is the most efficient way to make one worksheet that contains the column headers from two? I thought of exporting to excel, making the new sheet and shuttling it back, but this seems to be quite a work-around. Thank you.

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Happy to help!

Please see my comments/answers below.

option 1 - that would entail manually typing in each new column, correct? I am trying to avoid that if I could.
    [Andrée Starå] You could export it to Excel and then copy all the names once.

option 2 - if I copied a row from sheet A to sheet B - if the column headers were the same would the data be put into the existing Sheet B column or would it make a duplicate column? Is there a way to map fields for merging?
    [Andrée Starå] Yes, the matching columns would populate in the same column, and others that don't match would be created. There's no way to merge in the core Smartsheet.

Make sense?

Would that work?

Remember! Did my comment(s) help/answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community and me by marking it - Insightful 💡- Vote Up ⬆️ - Aweseome ❤️ - or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! I appreciate it, thanks!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

I hope you're well and safe!

You could add the column names on the first row and check.

Another option, depending on your goal, could be to copy/move the rows from one sheet to the other, and then columns that don't match are automatically created.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Did my comment(s) help/answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community and me by marking it - Insightful 💡- Vote Up ⬆️ - Aweseome ❤️ - or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! I appreciate it, thanks!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• LAW
    Options

Thank you for your prompt response.

option 1 - that would entail manually typing in each new column, correct? I am trying to avoid that if I could.

option 2 - if I copied a row from sheet A to sheet B - if the column headers were the same would the data be put into the existing Sheet B column or would it make a duplicate column? Is there a way to map fields for merging?

Thank you

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Happy to help!

Please see my comments/answers below.

[Andrée Starå] You could export it to Excel and then copy all the names once.

[Andrée Starå] Yes, the matching columns would populate in the same column, and others that don't match would be created. There's no way to merge in the core Smartsheet.

Make sense?

Would that work?

Remember! Did my comment(s) help/answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community and me by marking it - Insightful 💡- Vote Up ⬆️ - Aweseome ❤️ - or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! I appreciate it, thanks!

• LAW
    Options

Thank you. I tried option #2 but am not having any luck.

When I Crl+C on a row 1 in Sheet A it highlights, but when I navigate to my other sheet there is nothing to paste (it is greyed out.)

I also tried "move to another sheet" and "copy to another sheet" and tried them on three different combinations of worksheets. I thought perhaps that it didn't work since the row was devoid of data so I added a cell of data and saved then tried, but no go.

• LAW
    Options

After several attempts, #2 worked with the "move to another sheet." If you have any insight as to why the copy/paste didn't work, please let me know. Thank you for your help.