Can I use a formula to create a new line at the beginning of a field? CHAR(10) doesn't do it

=" " + CHAR(10) + CHAR(10) + "joes" + CHAR(10) + CHAR(10) + "joe"

does this:

="." + CHAR(10) + CHAR(10) + "joes" + CHAR(10) + CHAR(10) + "joe"

does this:

I need to accomplish this second outcome, without the dot.

The reason is that I have some formulas that combine fields with line breaks in between each field, and the formulas are so long that I need to break them up into multiple fields. If I cannot get the line breaks in the cell, the line spacing in the result breaks.

Tags:

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @James Keuning

Try UNICHAR(8204) as the first character. This is part of the UTF8 character sets. It worked on my test sheet - I had the column text wrapped

=UNICHAR(8204) + CHAR(10) + CHAR(10) + "joes" + CHAR(10) + CHAR(10) + "joe"

Kelly

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an interesting solution, and it looks right in Smartsheet, but when I copy the result that character generates question marks. I am not sure if this is a function of my operating system, so I tried it on Windows and Mac and I get the same results.

=UNICHAR(8204) + CHAR(10) + "joe" + UNICHAR(8204) + UNICHAR(8204) + CHAR(10) + "joe"

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@James Keuning

Interesting. Now I know to also test outside of smartsheet. What if smartsheet shows a character that doesn't appear as text outside smartsheet, ie notepad shows it correctly. Would that work?

Kelly

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@James Keuning

If it doesn't matter what shows in smartsheet but how it appears as text outside of smartsheet, then try CHAR(31), which is a file separator.

Although smartsheet shows a rectangle character, notepad shows the blank.

Kelly

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!