Match does not find the id but it should.

Options

Hi Again,

I'm having an issue where I'm trying to make sure that all of the right groups are listed in my sheet. for this I'm doing a simple match and if there is a match that means that the group is there. however, for some groups it says that there is no match but when I go to the row referenced and do a "ctrl f" i find the right ID in the Right column. Am I missing something here?

Tags:

Best Answers

• brianschmidt
    brianschmidt ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/18/24 Answer ✓
    Options

Are you trying to verify (true/false) that there is a match or pull information from one column based on a matching ID in another sheet?

It sounds like you may be looking to use an INDEX(MATCH formula. Something like this:

=INDEX({Cross-Sheet Reference Info You want to pull}, MATCH([SPO ID]@row, {IDS}, 0))

Also, be sure that your cross-sheet range is referencing the entire column as opposed to a single cell…in this case by clicking on the "organizational code" header when selecting the cross-sheet reference.

If you are wanting to verify that a match exists, one way to do this is an COUNTIF formula:

=COUNTIF({IDS}, [SPO ID]@row)

Essentially, this will count the number of entries in your other sheet have a matching ID. If IDs are unique and non-duplicative, it will simply show either a 1 or 0 based on if a match is found.

Hope this helps!:)

Answers

• brianschmidt
    brianschmidt ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/18/24 Answer ✓
    Options

Are you trying to verify (true/false) that there is a match or pull information from one column based on a matching ID in another sheet?

It sounds like you may be looking to use an INDEX(MATCH formula. Something like this:

=INDEX({Cross-Sheet Reference Info You want to pull}, MATCH([SPO ID]@row, {IDS}, 0))

Also, be sure that your cross-sheet range is referencing the entire column as opposed to a single cell…in this case by clicking on the "organizational code" header when selecting the cross-sheet reference.

If you are wanting to verify that a match exists, one way to do this is an COUNTIF formula:

=COUNTIF({IDS}, [SPO ID]@row)

Essentially, this will count the number of entries in your other sheet have a matching ID. If IDs are unique and non-duplicative, it will simply show either a 1 or 0 based on if a match is found.

Hope this helps!:)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!