Can datamesh pull certain data/criteria from a column?

Tasmmy
Tasmmy
edited 06/19/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

I have a few sheets that are for different departments. Each department has a list of employees in each sheet. Some employees are in multiple departments and I was hoping to pull specific data in a column from one sheet and transfer to each department sheet based off the written department in that column.

Tags:

Answers

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You can DataMesh using a report as a source. So if you filter the report to the employee's 'main department' for each main department sheet, then you'd be able to mesh information of that employee to target sheets they're on, but isn't their main department.

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni

You can do this by setting up a series of reports, one for each department. Then setup a Data Mesh workflow for each department that uses the report as the source and the department sheet as the destination. Be sure to include the columns you want to mesh in the report.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• I have a report made from my main department sheet. Would I have to make separate reports for each sheet in order to transfer the data? I have the departments all written in one column (8 total departments). Is it better to separate those columns? I tried that but it didn't quite work. I tried using the sheet and the report as the source but when I tested it out on one department sheet it added all the employees instead of just that department. If I need to add more columns to make it more specific I can try that?

I'll try to write out and example of what it looks like. Not every employee is in the Main Department since some employees are under a different department based on their role.

Main Department: Blue Pen (0.75 FTE), Orange Pen (0.25 FTE)

Department 1: Blue Pen (.25), Green Pen (1.0), Purple Pen (1.0)

Department 2: Orange Pen (0.75), Black Pen (1.0), Pink Pen (.75), Red Pen (0.25)

• Brian_Richardson

Not totally clear but I think what you want to do is setup a report for each destination that has only the people you want in it. You can use the report filters to achieve that. For example maybe you want all people where Main Department contains “Green Pen”. Use the report filter to get that list together and then Data Mesh from that Green Pen report to the Green Pen sheet.

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Brian_Richardson

Note that, to use Data Mesh, you need to ensure there’s a unique identifier for each person regardless of whether they are filtered in or out. You can use an Autonumber column for that, or if you have something like a unique employee id. Whatever the identifier, it has to be unique to each employee.

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN