How to view tasks assigned to me? NOT using reports

LJW
LJW
edited 06/20/24 in Formulas and Functions

I am setting up Smartsheets for my small consulting company. We have sheets for each project, and sheets for company-wide meetings, and almost sheet has a column to assign a task to a specific person.

I have seen the option to make reports but reports are not helpful at all. I need a solution that does not involve reports. I want all users to easily see front and center: tasks outstanding by date and priority and then easily click on them to go to the sheet and update it with the current status. How can I do this? Is there a program I can write, or a module I need to purchase?

This seems pretty essential to keeping teams coordinated.

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @LJW

I'm sorry to say but reports are a perfect fit here. Why are reports not an option?

Reports are a 2 way street for information to the sheet in Smartsheet. All the sheets can be combined into 1 report, while still staying as is on their own. The user can update the 1 report and all the sheets will be automatically updated. Furthermore, you can set the filter for "Has any of" and choose "Current User". That way the 1 report automatically filters the assigned to value to be the user looking at the report.

I know its not the answer you were looking for, but if you give it a try it might be helpful.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Thanks, Matt.

My company has used Smartsheets for several years, and I am trying to make the sheets more automated and connected. All of our projects have action item tracker sheets with tasks assigned to individuals through a contact list column in each sheet. Most users also have their own personal to do lists. It sounds like for reports to work in Smartsheet, I would need to set up a report for each individual user and then go back in to each report and manually add any new tracker sheets to everyone's report. Teams and individuals often start their own trackers (so large projects might have multiple trackers.) I worry that sheets will be missed in the report in a very manual process like this.

I would also like individuals to be able to add tasks or rearrange the rows in their personal views in a way that is meaningful to them. It seems like you can't add tasks through a report so there is a lot of going back and forth between sheets and reports. I also haven't figured out a way to manually rearrange lines on a report.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!