A Report that filters based on predecessors

Berto_DA
Berto_DA ✭✭
edited 06/20/24 in Formulas and Functions

I'm afraid I know the answer to this, but I'm working with a very large project plan and I want to flag one task in a report (or maybe a filter? or… a helper sheet?) where I can isolate that one critical task and all if its predecessors.

The goal is to see in one view that task and every other task that precedes it (or has that task as a successor).

Reports by default do not carry over predecessor data. They only show that a predecessor exists. The screenshot below is a snippet of a report.

Let me know what you think. I'm wondering if the helper page may work, with conditional lookup or index / match function.

Thanks!

P.S. If you interested in the TOTALFLOAT field, the purpose of this ask is to use the TOTALFLOAT to ID opportunities to accelerate predecessor tasks so that the Successor (the "one critical task") can be completed sooner.

That's why I'm trying to think of a way to isolate the floats of predecessors to impact the successor.

Tags:

Answers

• Berto_DA
    Berto_DA ✭✭
    edited 06/20/24

OK, I got the report to show the Predecessors. I created a new column in the Project Plan that carried over the text of the Predecessor column and then included that in the report.

Right now, the filter I'm using focuses on the letters "PFHO." What I need now is to get the report to show the predecessors for those tasks…

It's traceability that I'm after.

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you talking something maybe like this? The sheet set up on the left would have 2 special columns, the "Successors" that you've already got, but also the "Row #" (calculated with =MATCH([Row ID]@row, [Row ID]:[Row ID], 0) where [Row ID] is the system column).

Then you can set up the filter to the below to show the key task that you are referencing + any of it's predecessors (using the Successors column). It would just be a manual task to update the "5" to whatever task you want to see the predecessor chain of each time.

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• I do have row IDs - we think alike. I'll see how your other suggestion fits into this. I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!