Visualize categorized count data

Hi Y'All,

I have a small task that I do not know how to solve. We collect project data and one specific info we are counting and, I would love to visualize is:

How many contracts were signed in year xx and quarter y?

As background, my data structure consists of 1 project per row. A column is a manual input called "signed at" with the requested input being YYQX,

so a row with a contract signed in January 2024 will have the "Signed at" cell filled with 24Q1.

The column in bulk will look something like this

24Q3

24Q1

23Q4

24Q2

24Q2

How can i visualize, how many contracts were signed in each quarter of each year? I think about a dashboard widget but maybe I need some helper columns beforehand. I already used the right() and left() methods to extract year digits and the Q digit, but I do not know how to do a proper visualization.

Thankful for any inputs.

Best

Willy

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I would suggest a row report. All you would need to bring in is the YYQQ column. Group by that column then summarize with a count. You can then use this report to create a chart widget on a dashboard.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I would suggest a row report. All you would need to bring in is the YYQQ column. Group by that column then summarize with a count. You can then use this report to create a chart widget on a dashboard.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!