Does anyone have issue with the backup or snapshot returning #REF in Predecessor Columns?

Makiko Joans
Makiko Joans ✭✭✭✭
edited 06/25/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi, I had to send the snapshot/back file to myself since I accidentally moved the rows to another sheet. I was able to retrieve the sheet data. However, all my predecessors have #REF and could not retrieve the predecessors. I reached out the helpdesk and they replicated it, and theirs was fine. Only difference is that I am receiving the backup file with Excel format through our Outlook email app. Smartsheet tech was using google mail.

Does anyone know why? and how can I retrieve the predecessor information from backup or snapshot?

Tags:

Answers

• Zachary Ziegler
    Zachary Ziegler ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had this happen before, and the #REF actually self-updates when the sheet has a moment to catch up. Save your sheet post-backup and refresh the page, that should do the trick! If it doesn't, be sure to @ me and include screenshots of the cell formula so I can help you troubleshoot a bit more.

• Makiko Joans
    Makiko Joans ✭✭✭✭

@Zachary Ziegler , did you receive the snapshot backup with Excel file, then import it into the sheet? The excel file has already #REF. When I import the file to the Smartsheet, predecessors are "dropdown" property. I actually contacted the tech support, and they said if the referenced raw is completely removed from the sheet now, they said they cannot bring the predecessors back even though the backup is from the prior to the raw deletion… I am following up with them to clarify some information. Thank you for your help.

• Zachary Ziegler
    Zachary Ziegler ✭✭✭✭✭

I just tried to export a backup of one of my own project plans via Excel, then re-imported back into SmartSheet and while the layout wasn't exactly clean (hidden rows are unhidden, other visual inadequacies) the predecessors column did not convert into a dropdown nor did they display a #REF for me. Another way to work around this though, if that's how its bugging out for you, would be to simply snapshot to Google Sheets if you were able to see them replicate without the issue, since it is a free product after all, and you can then delete the snapshot on that platform for security purposes as long as it has served it's purpose.

If using Sheets for backups is not an option, maybe there's a way to resolve the #REF in Excel before re-importing to SmartSheet. Is the cell where the Predecessor is supposed to be a raw text "#REF" or is it a formula that Excel is struggling to read? If you could check the formula of the cell, you might be able to find the correct predecessors in them and change the cell to the correct value before the re-import, and SmartSheet should be able to read those predecessors correctly from that point onwards if so. Hard to say without seeing the formula your sheet comes up with in Excel though.

• Makiko Joans
    Makiko Joans ✭✭✭✭

@Zachary Ziegler , thank you. The issue seems to be… For example, I have row #1, row #2… #5.

My row #2's predecessors are row #1. Row #3 predecessors were row #2. What I did was I moved Row #1 ~ #5 to another sheet. Then I realized that the predecessors did not come to the new sheet… When I go back to the original sheet, it was too late to undo. So I grab the snapshot before I moved the rows. I got the email with Excel attachment. The task and the dates (start/end) are there. But the row #2 predecessors are #REF.

According to Tech Support, the row #1 is moved (deleted), thus the Smartsheet's snapshot could not identify the reference row. So, I asked "even though the snapshot was before the row deletion?"… then I am waiting for their answer right now. Did you want the back up because you have deleted row or something else?

Since I got the dates from the backup… I am trying to replicate the predecessors, but I just don't know why the backup does not give me the legible predecessors.