How can I update a dashboard real-time without end users seeing my edits on the fly?

Options
PiferA
PiferA
edited 06/27/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I'm working on a corporate project in which "everyone" will have access to a dashboard with project updates. I plan to collect updates throughout the month, which requires me to open up filters, look for new projects, add new projects, and updates statuses. I'm worried about how to do this operationally without everyone seeing my edits occur. Anyone have recommendations for how I can manage the dashboard appropriately?

Tags:

Best Answer

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@PiferA,

By default anyone shared to the Dashboard (or any asset) will be able to see that Asset within the restrictions of their permission level.

If you are editing the Assets that the Dashboard is displaying they may or may not be impacted. If you are in a Sheet and opening up filters that will not show on the Dashboard but your actual data updates will.

Without seeing your Dashboard and understanding the edits you are performing I can't really recommend a specific solution, but in general you can leverage reports, published items, dynamic view, etc. to control what is seen.

Lastly, if you want a more foolproof solution you could temporarily remove users access to it when editing. To do this more quickly I would create a User Group and add everyone there that will see the dashboard. Share the dashboard to this group and not the individuals. When you go to edit, remove them from sharing. When you are done, add them back in.

If this helped, help me & the SSC by accepting it and reacting w/💡insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, and/or ❤️Awesome.

👨🏼💻 Dan Palenchar | School of Sheets Solutions Consulting | Smartsheet Aligned Gold Partner

PS - If you have a follow up response use @Dan Palenchar so I get notified of your reply!

I make YouTube videos answering community questions: see if yours is on the list here!

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@PiferA,

By default anyone shared to the Dashboard (or any asset) will be able to see that Asset within the restrictions of their permission level.

If you are editing the Assets that the Dashboard is displaying they may or may not be impacted. If you are in a Sheet and opening up filters that will not show on the Dashboard but your actual data updates will.

Without seeing your Dashboard and understanding the edits you are performing I can't really recommend a specific solution, but in general you can leverage reports, published items, dynamic view, etc. to control what is seen.

Lastly, if you want a more foolproof solution you could temporarily remove users access to it when editing. To do this more quickly I would create a User Group and add everyone there that will see the dashboard. Share the dashboard to this group and not the individuals. When you go to edit, remove them from sharing. When you are done, add them back in.

If this helped, help me & the SSC by accepting it and reacting w/💡insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, and/or ❤️Awesome.

👨🏼💻 Dan Palenchar | School of Sheets Solutions Consulting | Smartsheet Aligned Gold Partner

PS - If you have a follow up response use @Dan Palenchar so I get notified of your reply!

I make YouTube videos answering community questions: see if yours is on the list here!

• PiferA
    Options

Thank you @Dan Palenchar ! This was very helpful.