Report columns from 2 sheets to appear side by side

Options

I have a report that pulls several columns from two sheets. By default, the rows from 2nd sheet appear below the rows from 1st sheet. But I want the rows from 2nd sheet to appear to the right of the rows from the first sheet. Is this doable in Smartsheet?

And, what if the number of columns I need both the sheets are not same? In other words, what if I want 5 columns from first sheet and 8 columns from the 2nd sheet?

Tags:

Best Answer

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @pd_njit,

You cannot combine multiple rows into one single row in a report.

Additionally, if you have different columns in Sheet 1 vs Sheet 2 then for a row in Sheet 1, the unique Sheet 2 columns will be blank and vice versa.

You could consider reversing this strategy - use one Sheet with all of your columns and then make reports that separate columns for what you currently have as Sheet 1 and Sheet 2.

If you need to manage them in separate Sheets than you could use lookup formulas or DataMesh to get the data all in one row in either Sheet. This would entail:

1. Having a unique identifier that is consistent in both Sheets (a lookup value),
    2. Adding all of Sheet 1 columns to Sheet 2 (or vice versa),
    3. Using lookup formulas or DataMesh to get the data from Sheet 2 to Sheet 1 (or vice versa),
    4. Hiding the lookup columns,
    5. Building a report off Sheet 1.

Hope this helps!

If this helped, help me & the SSC by accepting it and reacting w/💡insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, and/or ❤️Awesome.

👨🏼💻 Dan Palenchar | School of Sheets Solutions Consulting | Smartsheet Aligned Gold Partner

PS - If you have a follow up response use @Dan Palenchar so I get notified of your reply!

I make YouTube videos answering community questions: see if yours is on the list here!

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @pd_njit,

You cannot combine multiple rows into one single row in a report.

Additionally, if you have different columns in Sheet 1 vs Sheet 2 then for a row in Sheet 1, the unique Sheet 2 columns will be blank and vice versa.

You could consider reversing this strategy - use one Sheet with all of your columns and then make reports that separate columns for what you currently have as Sheet 1 and Sheet 2.

If you need to manage them in separate Sheets than you could use lookup formulas or DataMesh to get the data all in one row in either Sheet. This would entail:

1. Having a unique identifier that is consistent in both Sheets (a lookup value),
    2. Adding all of Sheet 1 columns to Sheet 2 (or vice versa),
    3. Using lookup formulas or DataMesh to get the data from Sheet 2 to Sheet 1 (or vice versa),
    4. Hiding the lookup columns,
    5. Building a report off Sheet 1.

Hope this helps!

If this helped, help me & the SSC by accepting it and reacting w/💡insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, and/or ❤️Awesome.

👨🏼💻 Dan Palenchar | School of Sheets Solutions Consulting | Smartsheet Aligned Gold Partner

PS - If you have a follow up response use @Dan Palenchar so I get notified of your reply!

I make YouTube videos answering community questions: see if yours is on the list here!

• pd_njit
    Options

Thank you, @Dan Palenchar. It is insightful. Let me try out the options.