Single Sign On - "Your Company Account"

Francisco
Francisco ✭✭✭✭
edited 07/08/24 in Smartsheet Basics

A recent update to the SmartSheet landing page has made it confusing to access the "Your Company Account" login option, which can be used to leverage Single Sign On.

If you're presented with the login page below, follow these steps to sign on with your company account:

1. Enter your company email address in the "email" field
  2. Click "Sign in" without a password entered in the password field
  3. From there, you'll be taken to a new page that now includes the Single Sign On (SSO) option

This option no longer appears on the initial landing page, which has caused a great deal of confusion for our end-users. I've submitted a ticket, but I'm making this post in the meantime in case others are dealing with this UI change. I encourage others to submit a ticket requesting that the "Your Company Account" login option be added to the default landing page if you have the same problem.

Thanks!

Screenshot examples below -

Comments

• Hi @Francisco

Thanks for posting your experience!
    You can find more about this one-time change in the Product Announcement post about it, here:

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Francisco
    Francisco ✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/16/24

@Genevieve P. - I think the issue is that there is no language to route users to the right spot on the landing page and not all of our end users are active on the forums. It is confusing that the only option appears to be "sign in" rather than "continue to next page of options where you'll find the option to sign in with your company account"

This is a "one time step" as long as folks don't need to clear their cache or use the same browser every time they access SmartSheet.

• @Genevieve P. this probably impacts more people than you all realize. Francisco is correct - there is no language that routes the user to SSO for Company accounts.

Trial and error is the only way I've fiddled my way to expose the button. Or pure luck. I don't clear my work browser's cache that often, so when this "one time thing" happens to me on an almost weekly basis: it really impacts my work.

Please take this feedback back to development, as it is very bad UX.

• @Genevieve P. Hi there,

Just an FYI the one-time fix is not working. We've been using this as a workaround for some time now and it does not resolve the issue. Confirmed again today by signing in, logging out. We have numerous users reporting this issue.

• Chris Topher
    Chris Topher ✭✭✭✭

Chiming in to say lots of confused users in my organization too.

Admins are inundated with conversations that start like this: "I used to login by selecting Sign in with your company account and now that option is gone, what do I do?".

• Just setup SSO today and I am also facing this issue with having to enter email address in with no password to "reveal the sign in with your company account" button.. Will definitely cause confusion for people going forward.

• MelissaSan
    MelissaSan ✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. - this has had a huge negative impact on our user community. We share workapps links to over 300 users including our leadership and they are having trouble accessing.

I hope Smartsheets can resolve this as the downstream impact is widespread.

• @Genevieve P.

I am currently developing a large scale company solution and this issue may cause us to switch solutions. I cannot direct people to a screen, tell them to login improperly to then be sent to a screen that gives an error notice that then allows them to use single sign on.

I understand the security aspect but there needs to be direction or a more easy to understand approach. I am going to have to write this into my Work Instructions and it dilutes the entire process.

• Today when I attempted to sign into the desktop application, I was shown a login screen with options to sign in with Google/Microsoft/Apple or use a code /login with my email and password. There was no "Continue" button to enter my email and then be prompted to sign in with my company account. If I hit enter on my keyboard, nothing happened either.

I called the Support Desk, and they instructed me to click the button to "Send one-time code," at which point the screen then updated to show me an option to Sign in with a Company account. This is a very confusing workflow to get to the Sign in with Company account prompt. Is this the long-term expected experience for logging into Smartsheet?

• @Aly_Olson_Turek

Thank you for sharing this feedback. We definitely want to resolve any confusion. Our login system does remember the allowed login method for a user, but if the login email is changed from what was used during the last session, the screen reappears as the browser needs to recheck the allowed login method for that user. Even if you haven't changed your login email, it would be helpful if you could share a screenshot or recording with us so we can better understand and address the issue.

• @Pawan Shukla There is a recording of what I saw from when I called the Support Deck, however I did not get any screenshots. I don't think my email has changed, so not sure what prompted Smartsheet to forget my login method?