Workflow only runs when I manually execute "Run Now"

From what I can see, a very common question in this community, yet still without a comprehensive solution?

I have setup a simple Predecessor = complete workflow to notify the assigned owner once complete (i.e. task 1 is now complete, now you can start task 2).

Workflow works perfectly (email or Teams notification) but ONLY when I execute a manual 'Run Now'.

Can anyone explain why the workflow doesn't execute automatically once status = completed and predecessor logic subsequently updates and more importantly, provide a solution?

Thanks

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @happinessstan,

Can you post a Screenshot of the automated workflow (with the trigger, filter criteria, and action)? It would also help to see a screenshot of your Sheet.

You could have an error in your automation preventing it from triggering, there could be something in the Sheet preventing the trigger, the permissions could be preventing it from being sent etc, or you could truly have a bug (though automations are generally very reliable). If you can send some more info I can try to help!

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!

• Great, many thanks Dan. Here's the screenshots

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/09/24

Hello @happinessstan,

How are you populating the Predecessor Status column? Is it based on the % Complete? If so a possible error could be that your % Complete formula is outputting a text value of 100% rather than a numerical value of 1.

Since the font of your Predecessor Status column is left aligned it is very likely a string (text value) as well since numbers automatically are right aligned.

To correct this, modify your formula as follows:

=IF(Status@row = "Complete", 1, 0)

Then, select the Complete % column and format it as a % (this will turn the 1 into 100% visually, but note that the system interprets 1 and 100% as a value of 1).

Also, while not necessary I am using @row in the formula rather than the row #. This is just a best practice for Smartsheet formulas whenever you are referencing a column that is in the same row as the formula cell.

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!