How do I prevent a new row from inheriting conditional formatting from previous row?

Hello, is there a way to prevent a new row from inheriting the same conditional formatting as the previous row? I have it set up so the color green highlights the row once info is added to 3 specific cells. However, when I create a new row and start filling it out, the row turns green - even though I've added info to cells that are not part of the conditional formatting rule. I have double checked my rule and it's correct.

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @rj88

Conditional formatting rules apply to the whole sheet. You can't specify a rule to work on only some rows.

Are you saying your rule should turn the row green when 3 specific columns have data in and it is turning green on new rows even if those 3 columns do not have data in? If so, please share a screenshot of the rule, if you can.

• Hi @KPH,

Re: your question - yes, that's what I'm saying. Here's are the screenshots:

Thanks for taking a look, KPH!
    rj88

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Based on your screenshots, both of those two rows should be highlighted green. What exactly is the difference between the two that indicates one should be green and the other should not?

• I'm sorry about that - I should have included a different screenshot! I have attached a new one. Anyway, I think I just figured out where the issue is. I initially imported info from Excel to begin my Smartsheet. If I add a new row right after a row that was imported from Excel and start entering info, it immediately adds the green formatting. In the example below, I added a row between two rows that were imported from Excel. Then I added info to the first column (not part of the conditional formatting) and it automatically turned the row green. So I guess now my question is, how do I change the format for the columns that were imported from Excel (ie, the ones that are part of the conditional formatting)? For example, in the "Completed" column there should be a checkbox. The info imported from Excel did not have a checkbox in that column.

Hope this all makes sense. Thanks for your help!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try selecting all column headers and then click the option to remove formatting. It almost sounds as if there is some formatting that has been applied to a row separate from conditional formatting that is being pulled through.