Auto Save / Invalid Operations Error.

Hi All,

I have been searching community forum to this unsaved issue that I am having with my PMO but no luck so far and appreciate if someone could help me with this.

According to what I have observed, the tasks sheet is not getting saved due to which some of the columns on Portfolio / Project Tracking Dashboard (Schedule at Risk, Overdue tasks, start date) are throwing error #INVALID OPERATION.

This error disappear if I go to the task sheet and manually save and go back to dashboards and refresh them, both dashboard started showing correct info. However it happens again after some time in a day or two.

I thought users forgot to save sheet when they do change their task status. To resolve this, account settings for all the users have been updated to auto-save after one minute of inactivity, so that the sheet is saved and error is gone.

However, I am still having same error #INVALID OPERATION in some of the projects on both dashboards. To fix I have to open task sheet and manually save again and again.

Here's the screenshot from Portfolio dashboard as you can see Schedule At Risk, Overdue tasks, Start Date is showing #Invalid Operation.

Same thing happens at project tracking dashboard. See below screenshot.

Below is the screen shot of tasks sheet and as you can see there's no other error except this sheet is not saved. So If I just save this sheet now and then refresh portfolio / project tracking dashboard both will show correct info.

Start Date is [date column] not restricted to date and has formula [(WORKDAY([Due Date]@row, -Duration@row)]Due Date is [date column] not restricted to date and has formula [WORKDAY([Due Date]$41, -[Days before OCD]@row - [Holiday Adj]@row)].

Appreciate if someone throw some light where / what to look for or what seems to be an issue.

Tags:

Answers

• Good Evening,

I am happy to hop on a call to review these errors with you this week if you're available to fix this issue. Looking forward to your response and assisting.

• Saj
    Saj ✭✭✭✭

Hi Evan, How do I contact you!

• Saj
    Saj ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I still haven't found any solution to my issue. Would be grateful if someone can assist.

Thanks in advance, 😊

• Isaac A.
    Isaac A. Employee

Hi @Saj!

The #INVALID OPERATION error typically indicates that while the formula syntax itself isn't necessarily wrong, you may be using incorrect data types for certain functions. In other words, operators in a formula might not be supported in Smartsheet or could be mistyped. Check this article for more info on error messages in formulas: Formula Error Messages.

If the issue persists, I recommend contacting Smartsheet Support for assistance through a private channel. You can reach them here: Smartsheet Support. Be sure to include as many details as possible, such as affected sheets, affected dashboards, and the specific formulas throwing error messages.

I hope this information helps!

Cheers,

Isaac.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024🎉

October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Saj
    Saj ✭✭✭✭

Hi Isaac,

Appreciate your response. I've checked formulas again and am unable to see any syntax error. Am using these 2 formulas in my sheet on the date columns where am getting this error.

Start Date is [date column] not restricted to date and has formula [(WORKDAY([Due Date]@row, -Duration@row)]

Due Date is [date column] not restricted to date and has formula [WORKDAY([Due Date]$41, -[Days before OCD]@row - [Holiday Adj]@row)]

Thanks,

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!