How to extract row numbers from properties into one of the columns???

Hello everybody,

Smartsheet is undoubtedly one of the most capable/versatile tools on the market. However, there are some limitations I find frankly frustrating.

One of those is a missing way/formula extracting the row number from properties into one of the columns.

Yes, I DO know of the "=MATCH etc." formula but it can only work with an Auto number column containing unique values. It means if the sheet with the Auto number column is used for data integration from other sheets with Auto numbers, the values within that column are not unique and therefore useless for the "=MATCH etc." formula solution.

Yes, I can apply a script using one of the connectors e.g. screenshot below but that is a costly solution just for extracting simple row numbers.

Could anyone advise should there be an alternative solution?

Most appreciative of your feedback!

Regards,

David

Tags:

Answers

• hey David,

I had to use microsoft power automate to do exactly what you are talking about. As far as i know there is no native way to do this in smartsheet either through automations or formulas. I did go down quite a rabbit hole trying to find native solutions and wasnt able to achieve anything that worked.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!