A = SUM(A,B) - possible?

Truthstone
edited 07/23/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hi

Looking to create an automation that creates a cumulative total.

E.g. if "time entry" field changed then ADD "time entry" to "Total Time". Clear "time entry"

Is this possible?

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide some screenshots with sample data for context?

• Hi Paul,

Thanks for reaching out.

The context:

I am trying to create a simple time capture solution for a small factory production team.

Simple mock-up below:

The logic I am trying to create:

IF Enter Time is changed THEN

Total Time = Total Time + Enter Time

Enter Time = 0 (reset)

Time Remaining = Time Budget - Total Time

Notes:

1. All these time variable are type = Duration (hopefully not a problem?)
    2. I am assuming that the Dynamic Views AddOn will allow me to create a simple, cut down interface for the Factory Team. (DV not available on the Trial version, but demo video looks good)
    3. Resource Manager AddOn may be able to do this? (not sure plus extra cost and overkill)

• Hi Paul,

Thanks for reaching out.

Context:

Looking to create a time capture solution that allows a factory production team to record actual time taken (any amounts, any time) while working on a multi-day task.

Mock-up (basic concept) below:

The factory floor team enter time into the "Enter Time" field [Note: these are all Duration type… let me know if that's going to cause problems… ). e.g. on day 1 they may capture 4h on Task 1 and 4h on Task 2… etc.

[I am also assuming that the Dynamic Views addon will allow us to create a simpler "Time Capture" view for the factory team. (DV are not available in the Trial version, but the demo video looks good and indicates feasibility)]

The solution I am trying to achieve:

If Enter Time is changed then

Total Time = Total Time + Enter Time

Enter Time is reset to zero

Time Remaining = Time Budget - Total Time

Hoping this is possible. (Resource Manager may be an option, but an overkill and also additional costs??)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!