Setting Up Priority Predecessor and Automatic Task Allocation in Smartsheet

I am currently managing a project with approximately 500 tasks, and new tasks are being added every week while others are completed. My tasks are divided into three priority levels and fall into different categories: short-term one-time tasks, medium- or long-term one-time tasks, and recurring tasks (monthly, quarterly, or yearly).

I am looking to achieve the following:

1. Automatic Task Allocation: I want to automatically allocate every 16 new tasks to 8 team members, with 8 tasks being priority 1, 5 tasks being priority 2, and 3 tasks being priority 3. Once tasks of a certain priority are completed, the next set of tasks of the same priority should begin, maintaining the 16-task cycle.
  2. Priority and Dependencies: I would like to know if it is possible to use the Predecessor function in Smartsheet to achieve this. For instance, the ninth priority 1 task should start after the fastest completion among the first eight priority 1 tasks (short-term tasks).
  3. Work Hours: Each team member can contribute 4.5 hours per workday to handle tasks. All team members can handle any type of task, but recurring tasks should ideally be handled by the same person who initially worked on them.
  4. Workload Tracking: After setting up this design, I would like to use the Workload Tracking feature to reflect it, allowing me to reassign tasks based on each person's workload.

Specifically, I need help with:

• Setting up task priorities and categories.
  • Configuring automatic task allocation to ensure every 16 tasks are assigned to 8 team members according to the specified priorities.
  • Utilizing the Predecessor function to manage the start of priority tasks automatically.
  • Using the Workload Tracking feature to monitor and adjust each team member's workload.

Any insights, tips, or examples of similar setups would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Answers

• Isaac A.
    Isaac A. Employee

Hi @Janeyuzhu!

Thank you for sharing the details of your project. Given the complexity of what you're trying to achieve, creating a tailored solution from scratch might be challenging to address entirely through the Community. Developing a solution like this often requires an in-depth understanding of your specific data and processes to create use cases and targeted workflows. This type of work is best handled through a private channel.

For this level of assistance, I recommend reaching out to our Professional Services team. They specialize in creating custom solutions and can help you develop a system that fits your exact needs. Another great option is a Pro-Desk session, where you can get personalized guidance on best practices for working with Smartsheet.

If you're interested in exploring Smartsheet on your own, I suggest diving into our Help Center articles, where you'll find valuable information and examples to guide you.

To get you started, here are some articles that might be particularly helpful:

I hope this points you in the right direction!

Cheers,

Isaac.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024🎉

October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!