My main sheet shows read only

I'm facing a strange issue, i've created a mastersheet with around 5000rwos and 3500rows have data on it and those rows linked to another four sheets for particular data, now if i open my mastersheet it shows "we weren't able to load your sheet's cell links and had to make your sheet read only for now. sorry about the headache! you can view the sheet now or refresh your browser and try again, Regarding this issue i've raised a ticket also and they responded with delete cookies, try new browser, new network, i've tried everything nothing works, if i save the file as a new file the error is gone but i have to relink all 3500x4 cells again (we can do 500links at a time), it's a long process, please help, becasuse of this lot of problems i'm facing in my company.

Note : i'm currently on business plan with single user, i have admin access for all the sheets.

Answers

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/25/24

Hi @vstr88889,

you most likely hit the cell linking limit:

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/861579-cell-linking

SHEET LIMITS (June 2024):
    20,000 rows
    400 columns
    500,000 cells
    4.000 characters in a cell
    100.000 cross-sheet referred cells (e.g. by using formulas like VLOOKUP or Index + Match)
    500.000 inbound cell links

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/506775-system-requirements-for-using-smartsheet

As I don't know how you are linking to other sheets just quick shot; if you use VLOOKUP somewhere, go and exchange for INDEX&MATCH.

Hop this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• vstr88889
    vstr88889
    edited 07/25/24

First question - is it 100 or 1,00,000 and 500 or 5,00,000 please confirm. becasue

This table includes more information about maximum values.

Sheet Component

Maximum

Rows

Columns

Cells

Characters in a cell

Inbound and outbound cell links or references

in smartsheet site they've mentioned like i can use 500,000 inbound and outbound links
    Second question - I've used outbound links like 2,48,000/ and inbound links are 48,000, i used cell link option to pull data from the mastersheet, common data i'm pulling from my mastersheet (which is currently showing error) and after retrieving data from there to three sheets which has another 15colounms additionally(it's department based) they will add additional inputs there. is there any otherway without link option to pull data from the mastersheet also how can i change this from read only to editable version please help

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @vstr88889,

please have a look at the official Smartsheet documentation page linked above regarding understanding of numbers.

Like I mentioned above you can use formulas for linking, but avoid VLOOKUP:

https://www.smartsheet.com/content-center/best-practices/tips-tricks/powerful-and-flexible-cross-sheet-formulas

But in the end, it can get too much. If you hit the limits, you hit the limits. There's no way to trick around. But you could split up data into different sheets to reduce the load for the sheet giving the error.

I suggest you call Smartsheet support again and talk to them about a potential cell link limits problem. They can help you check if that is really the case and eventually have ideas for you too :-)

Hope this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• I will check, thank you..!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!