Setting Formula to Remain it's Current Value Unless Told to Change

So I am trying to set up custom baseline formulas for our PMs and am attempting to have the baseline date change to the actual when a checkbox is ticked and then it is to remain that value when the checkbox is unticked and not automatically update with the actual dates any further if changes are made to it.

Here's the formula I have for the baseline at the moment:
=IF([Update Baseline?]@row, [Actual Date]@row, 0)

Ideally I would want the 0 to be replaced with the current baseline date but I get a Circular Reference error.
Thanks for the help

Best Answer

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I wonder if you could accomplish this with an automation:

Trigger: When Row is Added or Changed, when checkbox is Checked, run when triggered
    Condition: When Actual Date is BLANK
    Action: Record a date in Actual Date

This will only trigger once - after the first time, it won't matter if the box is checked or unchecked or anything else, because of the condition. You can lock that column to edits.

Good luck!

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I wonder if you could accomplish this with an automation:

Trigger: When Row is Added or Changed, when checkbox is Checked, run when triggered
    Condition: When Actual Date is BLANK
    Action: Record a date in Actual Date

This will only trigger once - after the first time, it won't matter if the box is checked or unchecked or anything else, because of the condition. You can lock that column to edits.

Good luck!

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!