How to create a chart of the sums of sheet summary fields from 2 different sheets?

I have 2 projects with sheet summary fields summing up the number of activities in different statuses (eg not started, in progress, completed).

With a report I was able to pull this data together - I can even sum them up.

What I cannot seem to be able to do though is create a chart based on the total row. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Unfortunately due to smartsheet limitations I cannot reference a report in a grid or reference the sheet summary fields in another grid either :(

Answers

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas ✭✭✭✭✭

The Summary rows in reports are interesting, aren't they - there's information there that can be valuable. But it technically doesn't exist as a saved row on a sheet somewhere, so it doesn't allow you to display on dashboards. To display on a dashboard, you have to ultimately reference If you have the Pivot App, base it on this report and sum up each column - then you'll have your data in a sheet - which will allow you to pull this info together. If you don't have the Pivot app, I'm not sure what to say: I would suggest you consider putting together a KPI sheet that will effectively do the same thing as a Pivot - essentially, do your roll-ups with a cross-sheet reference instead of Sheet Summary fields. By doing this, you also have control of your naming convention - for example, to abbreviate the sheet names for easy data consumption on the dashboard.

Good luck!

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!