Missing details for a change or insert action in the Activity log

Hello,

I am owner of a Smartsheet project sheet, I have a need to view activity log to track all changes made by various users having access to the sheet. I find that all the actions like Views, Changes and Inserts are recorded, however, changes or insert details are missing for a specific user, it doesn't tell me what specific changes or inserts were made. Has anyone come across such issues?

Thanks,

Neeraj

Answers

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried the Highlight Changes feature?

• ndeorah
    ndeorah ✭✭✭

Hello @James Keuning - Thank you for sharing it, when I highlight changes, I have to click on each cell to view the history. I have a need to download the activity log for audit purposes. Unless there is another way to download history of all changes?

Thanks, Neeraj

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

My apologies; I was focused on the "specific changes or inserts" part of your message, and not what seems to be the heart of the problem: a user is able to make changes to a sheet that are not picked up in the Activity Log. That is very concerning and I suspect it's a bug that should be reported to Smartsheet.

(I assume the changes you are looking for are recent, like in the past few months. Smartsheet documentation says "The activity log will show the most recent cell changes" and I do not know what that means. I can get history more than six months back, but I can imagine someone going back years to find that some history is missing.)

• ndeorah
    ndeorah ✭✭✭
    edited 07/30/24

No worries @James Keuning, I am only trying to go back up to past 6 months of history, the activity log displays change details for some instances and missing for majority. Since I am able to view the cell level history when I highlight the changes, that means the information is stored somewhere in the cloud, Smartsheet support is looking into it now, it's a major bug for sure,

Appreciate your help!

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

Well now I am curious so please update this thread when Smartsheet support gets back to you!

• Good question this affects me too. But for any user and for logs at up to 2 months old. I can comments made in the time frame just not cell changes.

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ndeorah,

did you hear anything from support?

I know have a similar problem, where an indentation change is tracked, but nt who did it.

So, I am very curious if it's a bug and when it will be resolved.

Greetings

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.