What view are you? Share your story and claim your badge

Comments

• Sing C
    Sing C ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like a Pick 'n' Mix!

Grid view is my default/go-to view in most situations. It let's me quickly scan sheet data and is a great to reference when generating Work Insights.

Gantt view is my next most used view. The core of the work we manage in Smartsheet are project plans so seeing the gantt bars alongside the sheet data is a great one-stop shop - giving the traditional "project plan" view of the world.

With more complex projects, the gantt view can feel a little 'noisy' which is when I'll jump into the timeline view to get a clutter-free view of project timelines.

I still find myself using card view more often than board view but transitioning more to board view with each day! I find the ability to scroll within a lane a great UX difference from card view.

Sing Chen

Process Architect, Dayforce

LinkedIn

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I work in grid view the majority of the time as I am building solutions more often for my team than actually using them. It's a secret of mine how many helper columns are in some of these sheets I build, so I need to be adjusting those formulas constantly to make the sheet work, and most of the teams have no idea!

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Jake.C
    Jake.C ✭✭

Timeline, calendar, and gannt are the views for me! I work as a resource manager so being able to switch between super micro allocations, down to the half hour, or super macro annualized ones, has been incredibly useful.

Timeline and Gannt are helpful for knowing when specific resources will be needed and having the addition of the calendar is helpful because you can cross reference for any PTO or other deliverables that may cause an overage of some sort.

None of the views itself is the best but when used together you really start to see the usefulness of this tool!

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Picture a bustling laboratory with samples needing refrigeration, and an industrial sized laboratory refrigerator jam-packed with racks of testtubes and vials. Locating the right rack with your needed testtube in it was time-consuming.

Enter Boardview. Through standardized naming and concatenation of several fields, I was able to mimic the layout of the shelves and sectors within those shelves to visually represent the sector the rack was in. The ease of using smartsheet made it simple to mark when the sample was complete. Completed (aka discarded samples) were moved to another sheet via automation.

I don't use boardview often as my work doesn't lend itself that way. But for this solution, it was the easiest way to visually help a team more quickly find a sample so they could get on with the value-add work of analyzing the sample.

Kelly

• Grid View! it's the most useable, to my eyes, and easiest for those not versed in Smartsheet to view and use, as it looks similar to a standard spreadsheet. It's easiest to sort and filter within.
    I will occasionally use card view/board view to check that things are recording correctly.

• I have used all of them in the past it just depends on what I was working with. Currently, I use grid, board and calendar.

• I use Grid view for all of my smart sheets right now. It is most familiar for all of my staff and peers. I am still learning more about the different views, and all that Smart Sheets can do. I look forward learning new ways for my staff to access data and complete the tasks involved in our program.

• joey.w.razzano
    joey.w.razzano ✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Will Duplex they are all useful in some way and CARD view was my favorite - but the new BOARD view has some redeeming features too ;) Balancing resources is SO EASY when you do it visually and I think this is an underrated view that others should try!

• MarceHolzhauzen
    MarceHolzhauzen ✭✭✭✭

Wow! What a question. It has made me really think deep about picking a single favourate. It's like asking Marvel to choose which Avenger is the best…. They're a team and they work best when they are together.

Grid View is where all the magic starts, I almost feel like this would be the Jarvis of Smartsheet. It knows everything, holds everything and keeps everything together.

I love how Timeline View gives me the ability to see things quick and easy and allows me to plan for the week ahead. And make sure i am not stretched too thin.

Board View is absolutely bang on for things like tickets, process flows and managing pipelines. I have to admit i prefer Board View to Card View.

I don't know what I would do to determine critical paths if it weren't for Gannt View. I feel like this is RM level 1. Perfect for me.

If you are anything like me, and you hate missing out on important days with your team, Calendar View is your friend. I love how easy it is to display the events of the month and not miss out on Birthdays or Anniversaries.

Ok, that's enough now. Time to go save the world (okay okay, I'm not a real superhero, but leave me with my illusions)

#PeakHumansUnite!

Marcé Holzhauzen
    Dare to try

If this helped, help me & the SSC by accepting it and reacting w/💡insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, and/or ❤️Awesome.

• Arts B.
    Arts B. ✭✭✭

I preferably use the Grid view as this is the most organic format to see all the data you have in your project, formulas that you have added or any workflow and automation is easy to access.

• I prefer Grid View when tracking and working with large amounts of information. The board view is new to me, but I like that you can visually see where things are when you track them.

• Lauren Dominique
    Lauren Dominique Overachievers

Grid view will always be my most-used view, no doubt.

But, I just helped one of our programs build out a calendar view to easily plan and share their team’s monthly on-call service schedules. It was a fun project to build and was awesome to see the team so excited to have their tedious administrative process replaced by something much more streamlined.

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it 💡 Insightful or ❤️ Awesome!

• alyssad
    alyssad ✭✭✭
    edited 08/22/24

I use a few different views in my daily smartsheet life but all of the views for different use cases. For detailed information I find the grid view to be my go-to as a default view to be able to easily see what I have. However, for my management tools that are process based I divide my sheets to show calendar view and gantt view so I can see my project timelines and have it easily digestible on a calendar. For high level showcases to executives I like to use the timeline view as a proof of concept when showing why it takes X days to get a project done and where we were held up by potential bottlenecks. When collaborating with the field team, the board view's visual layout is helpful to collaborate with others who may not use smartsheet as frequently.

• I use Grid View the most for larger, longer projects and I utilize the Board View for many smaller projects and day-to-day tasks. I love the flexibility of choosing the best fit for the need and the team.

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Since starting with Smartsheet in Dec 2010, Grid View has been my default for sheets and reports. I can view more data faster and its simplicity, though we have lots of details/moving parts, makes it easy on the eyes.

Grid viewers, unite! :)