What is the best way to set up my approval workflow?

I am currently stuck trying to figure out the best approach for an approval workflow. Each row of data needs to be sent to an employee for approval. However, if they decline, they need to make a comment with what data needs to be edited, and then they would need to be re-sent the approval before it can keep moving along in the process.

Is there a cleaner way to do this than to have a manual trigger send off the second round of approval? If I make the automation based off of when rows are added or changed, it will send off too early as there are date columns that would trigger this.

I currently have it where if a row is declined on approval, the sheet user would need to switch a status back to 'pending approval' in order to have it re-trigger the automation.

TYIA!

Tags:

Answers

• So I had a similar problem with needing to retrigger a work flow. I had to actually set up 4 different workflows. I had the original workflow. If it was declined, the requestor received an email stating that additional information was needed through an update. Once this was filled in, then I created another workflow based off of if the revised request column has data, trigger the workflow. I did have to come up with hard stops and then additional information needed so my workflows would work correctly. I hope this helps!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!