The scope of "Update" for automation via API?

I know that new automation rules can't be created through the API but the API doc says that they can be updated. Does anyone know what exactly can be updated in the automation through the API.

I would want to take an existing Copy Row rule and change 1 condition and the path to the destination sheet.

Thanks!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Alex Argumedo
    Alex Argumedo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi CTW,

It seems like unfortunately it won't update Copy Row; Extracted from the documentation:

"Multistep workflows are not returned via the API. Instead, you'll see an error 400 - 1266: This rule is not accessible through the API. Only single-action notifications, approval requests, or update requests qualify."

I presume Copy row is a multistep automation.

You still can build a simple script to list automations and see them, but I'm almost sure it is not possible, at least no yet.

Answers

• Alex Argumedo
    Alex Argumedo ✭✭✭✭✭

Automations according to SS, are divided in two groups, "simple" and "complex" and the API can only work on "simple" automations, I can change notification automations mostly, the rest that has multiple conditions or multiple tasks the APOI won't even list it when you query the sheet to list the automations.

• CTW
    CTW ✭✭✭

Thanks, Alex!

Do you happen to know if I can take an existing Copy Row rule and change 1 condition and the path to the destination sheet through the API?

• Alex Argumedo
    Alex Argumedo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi CTW,

It seems like unfortunately it won't update Copy Row; Extracted from the documentation:

"Multistep workflows are not returned via the API. Instead, you'll see an error 400 - 1266: This rule is not accessible through the API. Only single-action notifications, approval requests, or update requests qualify."

I presume Copy row is a multistep automation.

You still can build a simple script to list automations and see them, but I'm almost sure it is not possible, at least no yet.

• CTW
    CTW ✭✭✭