How can I create a new sheet or report that pulls in SUM from an existing report?

HSabin
HSabin ✭✭✭✭
edited 08/07/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I currently have a ledger report (Report A) that pulls in budget data from two sheets. In Report A, the report groups the line items by brand and provides a SUM of budget per brand.

I'm needing to create a new report (Report B) which can technically be a Sheet or a Report - but what I'm needing, is to pull in the SUM by Brand that is being calculated in Report A.

Is this possible? Seems like it should be easy since Smartsheet is calculating the sum to begin with - however I have been unable to figure out how to pull this number into a new sheet or report. Does anyone have any ideas?

Tags:

Answers

• Saul C.
    Saul C. ✭✭

I think this would be workable in the Pivot add on, however I believe that’s a premium add on with a cost. Or, if you have data shuttle you might be able to have the data sync to an excel sheet with pivot table that then syncs back to a new sheet in Smartsheet.

• HSabin
    HSabin ✭✭✭✭

@Saul C. Thank you for the thoughts. I'm looking for a solution that can be executed in the Core App. It seems like it would be an easy thing for Smartsheet to do since the system is making the calculations already.

• Saul C.
    Saul C. ✭✭

I agree. I've think this function should be included already. Like you said, it's doing them already. I have a similar need, and was told I'd need Pivot to do it. 😔

• Will.Parente
    Will.Parente ✭✭✭✭✭

Two options depending on what you need:

Option 1:

In CORE you could create a transition table.

Basically a GRID Sheet that uses a SUMIFS (https://help.smartsheet.com/function/sumifs). You can then use that sheet to create reports how you need. Sheet would have a couple of columns: BRAND ; SUM. Then populate the BRANDs you have and use a formula.

You can then automate the transition table being populated with new entries. Automation: When a new line is added copy said data to other sheet.

Option 2:

Create "Sheet Summary" values and then use those on a report or Dashboard per brand.

This one is more work in my opinion, but there are use cases that would be better suited by this option.

• HSabin
    HSabin ✭✭✭✭

@Will.Parente Thank you for the idea of a translation table in a grid sheet. That will be what I try next.