Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Remove Parent data automation when Child dates are entered

JoshP
JoshP
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi all,

When using date columns, Start/End the Parent row auto-updates with the earliest and latest of its Child rows.

Is there any way to turn off this function?

Thanks,

Josh

Comments

• Hi Josh,

You'll need to disable the dependencies functionality to stop parents from rolling up data from their child tasks.

Note that disabling dependencies will also remove predecessor relationships, details on what the dependencies functionality does can be found in our help article: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/765727-enabling-dependencies-using-predecessors

• Hi Shaine,

Thanks for this. I still need the dependencies functionality - is there absolutely no way to disable the date "roll-up" whilst still having dependencies?

Thanks,

Josh

• Hi Josh,

Correct, there isn't a way to keep the dependency functionality enabled and disable the parent roll-up feature specifically.

When you have a moment, please submit a Product Enhancement Request using the form under Quick links on the right and describe how you'd like to use the parent rows.

• Thanks Shaine,

I have submitted a request.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

JoshP,

What is your reasoning behind wanting to disable this feature?

If you only want them hidden, here's some things to try:

1. change the font of text in the columns to white (white on white looks blank)

2. or add a column to determine if the row is a summary (using either ANCESTORS() or CHILDREN() functionality) and use conditional formatting for (1)

3. using (2), you could filter our the summary row if you concerned about viewing it on the Gantt chart (as (1) and (2) do not remove the dates, only hide them)

For me, this (roll-up) is a fundamental feature and I am very curious what the use of removing them may be.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.