Triggers not working properly

I have an automation to send email reminders out at various intervals (30, 60, 90 days prior) based on an Award End Date. But it seems my trigger isn't working properly. Here are the details after a test run.

Answers

• Isaac A.
    Isaac A. Employee

Hi @fryeaf!

To better understand the issue, could you elaborate on what's happening with your trigger? Is it running earlier or later than expected? Additionally, please check the values in your Award End Date column to ensure they align with the logic set in your automation.

With this information, we can troubleshoot your issue more efficiently.

This help article might also be useful: Trigger Blocks - When Your Workflow is Executed.

Looking forward to your details!

Cheers,

Isaac.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024🎉

October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• fryeaf
    fryeaf ✭✭

It seems as though as long as there is a date in the "End Date" Column, it is running no matter how many days away the trigger is. For example, I have automations for 30, 60 and 90 day reminders. But when I ran the 30 day reminder, nearly every row indicated it received a reminder, clearly not just the within 30 day reminder. Let me know what else you may want to see. I cannot figure out what happened.

• Isaac A.
    Isaac A. Employee
    edited 08/19/24

Hi @fryeaf!

Thanks for the additional details. When you manually run workflows for testing, the triggers are bypassed, but the condition blocks are still respected. This means that when you run the workflow manually, it will ignore the 30, 60, or 90-day triggers and send notifications to all rows that meet the condition block you’ve set (e.g., "Where Proposal Status is equal to Awarded"). You can find more information in this helpful article: Manually run a workflow.

To properly test the trigger, you would need to adjust the dates in the "End Date" column to match the specific 30, 60, or 90-day conditions. This way, the workflow will only trigger for the rows that meet the appropriate timing criteria.

I hope this clarifies what's happening.

Cheers,

Isaac.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024🎉

October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!