Manage session sign-ups for a conference, with a way to cap participants at 15 per session

I have a user group that wants to use Smartsheet to manage conference session sign-ups through forms. The challenge is how to cap participants, and provide a note to try another session once that session is full.

Joe Busch

jbusch@urban.org

Best Answer

• Rich Coles
    Rich Coles ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Joe Busch - funny you should ask this question! I literally posted a video on this topic last week on our YouTube channel » Booking slot solution demo. While the video doesn't go into all the permutations and detail, you can download a template of the solution and then customise it to your needs. You can then create automations to send a message to registrants when they book a slot and the places are all taken to advise them them need to rebook. My solution starts out with a dashboard where people can see the number of remaining slots, assuming the dashboard is refreshed, but allows for the fact that multiple people may book at similar times.

Any questions on this solution, let me know!

Rich

Rich Coles

Prodactive | Smartsheet-aligned Platinum partners

Check out our Smartsheet-dedicated YouTube channel for tips, tricks and inspiration

Answers

• RDRGSJ00
    RDRGSJ00 ✭✭✭✭

Hello Joe Busch,

As far as I know, Smartsheet doesn't have a built-in way to deactivate a form based on dates or submissions. The cool thing about Smartsheets is that there's usually always a workaround. I would recommend:

1. Create an auto number column: This will keep count of how many submissions are coming in
    2. Create an automation to notify you once your cap is met
    2 a. Once you receive the automated email that the cap is met, log in to Smartsheets and deactivate the form
    3. Create an automation that notifies individuals who have signed up, if the auto number in their row is greater than the cap, to try signing up for another session.

This process is not 100% automated but it works.

• Rich Coles
    Rich Coles ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Joe Busch - funny you should ask this question! I literally posted a video on this topic last week on our YouTube channel » Booking slot solution demo. While the video doesn't go into all the permutations and detail, you can download a template of the solution and then customise it to your needs. You can then create automations to send a message to registrants when they book a slot and the places are all taken to advise them them need to rebook. My solution starts out with a dashboard where people can see the number of remaining slots, assuming the dashboard is refreshed, but allows for the fact that multiple people may book at similar times.

Any questions on this solution, let me know!

Rich

Rich Coles

Prodactive | Smartsheet-aligned Platinum partners

Check out our Smartsheet-dedicated YouTube channel for tips, tricks and inspiration

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!