Countifs formula: Counting "MacBook Pro" Instances

Hi there,

I need help with counting Asset Models by Keyword and by office location.

Goal: I want to sum all Asset drop-down options that include the term "MacBook Pro."

Metrics Sheet:

Reference sheet:

I'm currently getting a zero in the Austin column on my Metrics sheet for "MacBook Pro," even though it should show a count of 5.

Thanks in advance

Tags:

Best Answer

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

COUNTIFS expects an exact match - and Smartsheet doesn't really play nice with the wildcards you used. The work around is to embed a bit more in the formula that will allow you to do the partial match you're after. There are multiple ways to accomplish this - you can use FIND (and then test if it returns a number or not), but I prefer this version:

=COUNTIFS({Office}, [Office Helper]@row, {Asset Model}, CONTAINS("MacBook Pro",@cell))

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

COUNTIFS expects an exact match - and Smartsheet doesn't really play nice with the wildcards you used. The work around is to embed a bit more in the formula that will allow you to do the partial match you're after. There are multiple ways to accomplish this - you can use FIND (and then test if it returns a number or not), but I prefer this version:

=COUNTIFS({Office}, [Office Helper]@row, {Asset Model}, CONTAINS("MacBook Pro",@cell))

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!