Countifs with or

Sylvia Kay
Sylvia Kay ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 08/15/24 in Formulas and Functions

I need some help with my formula:

I like to show the number of open Risks OR Issues that are <> Closed. I do have 1 open risk in my issue log. When I use the formula without the "OR" I get the correct number for my 1 risk. When I add the "OR", I get the number "0". It should be 1.

This formula returns correct 1

=IFERROR(COUNTIFS({03. RAID Log | SMP2024-0022 RAID Status}, <>"Closed", {03. RAID Log | SMP2024-0022 Raid Type}, "Risk"), 0)

This formula returns incorrect 0

=IFERROR(COUNTIFS({03. RAID Log | SMP2024-0022 RAID Status}, <>"Closed", OR({03. RAID Log | SMP2024-0022 Raid Type}, "Risk", {03. RAID Log | SMP2024-0022 Raid Type}, "Issue")), 0)

SYLVIA KAY | DIRECTOR PROJECT MANAGEMENT

PLATFORM ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY TEAM

AMERICAN EXPRESS GLOBAL BUSINESS TRAVEL

M: 404-664- 1025 | SYLVIA.KAY@AMEXGBT.COM

AMEXGLOBALBUSINESSTRAVEL.COM

follow us on twitter: @AmexGBT

follow us on instagram: @AmexGBT

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/16/24

@Sylvia Kay

The reason this is returning 0 is due to an error in the formula. To troubleshoot situations like this remove the IFERROR portion so you can see the error code. How ever in this situation. IT looks like it is a syntax error. OR statements syntax is the full logical expression. This causes other problems with how the COUNTIFS works. Effectively COUNTIFS look at a range first then the expression separated by a coma. Also COUNTIFS have an understood AND wrapped with in the function. the OR statement makes the entire bit with in it a statement and not a range. THUS to get this to work you would need.

=IFERROR(COUNTIFS({03. RAID Log | SMP2024-0022 RAID Status}, <>"Closed", {03. RAID Log | SMP2024-0022 Raid Type}, "Risk"), 0) + IFERROR(COUNTIFS({03. RAID Log | SMP2024-0022 RAID Status}, <>"Closed", {03. RAID Log | SMP2024-0022 Raid Type}, "Issue"), 0)

I hope my explanation is understandable. I could fix problems all day long but some times struggle on how to explain why something is a problem.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!