Overall Health based on not completed tasks

I am looking to update this formula I currently use in the parent of the Health column.

It currently looks at child rows below and returns the color of the most "severe" status. (if it find any red, it returns red)

What I need:
However, if the phase is completed and the rest of the tasks are on track, I don't want to report completed phases health in the over all parent health.

Module 1 Health should represent the most severe health for all non-completed children.

Current Formula I need to modify to exclude checked rows:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Module - Phases]@row)) > 0, IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") > 0, "Red", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") > 0, "Yellow", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") > 0, "Green", "Gray"))))

Can you help me modify my formula? I am looking to exclude any children rows in the count where checkbox is checked under "Completed"

Best Answer

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    Answer ✓

Don't use Completed@row, use CHILDREN(Completed@row) instead. You have to give COUNTIFS the same size range for each argument. By telling it to check all the children for Red, but then check only the single row for Completed, it's erroring out.

So:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Module - Phases]@row)) > 0,

IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Red", CHILDREN(Completed@row), 0) > 0, "Red",

IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Yellow", CHILDREN(Completed@row), 0) > 0, "Yellow",

IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Green", CHILDREN(Completed@row), 0) > 0, "Green", "Gray"))))

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

Answers

• Adam Murphy
    Adam Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Change to COUNTIFS and add additional criteria for the Completed@row, 0 (0 is unchecked, 1 is checked). Hope this helps!

• raisy27
    raisy27
    edited 09/10/24

Thanks ! I must be missing something as I get incorrect argument set

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Module - Phases]@row)) > 0, IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Red", Completed@row, 0) > 0, "Red", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Yellow", Completed@row, 0) > 0, "Yellow", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Green", Completed@row, 0) > 0, "Green", "Gray"))))

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    Answer ✓

Don't use Completed@row, use CHILDREN(Completed@row) instead. You have to give COUNTIFS the same size range for each argument. By telling it to check all the children for Red, but then check only the single row for Completed, it's erroring out.

So:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Module - Phases]@row)) > 0,

IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Red", CHILDREN(Completed@row), 0) > 0, "Red",

IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Yellow", CHILDREN(Completed@row), 0) > 0, "Yellow",

IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Green", CHILDREN(Completed@row), 0) > 0, "Green", "Gray"))))

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!