Can you generate a PDF from a Smartsheet row and create an externally shareable link to that PDF?

jcouncil
jcouncil ✭✭✭✭
edited 09/10/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a form that is creating net new rows on a sheet upon submission. When a new row is added, I have an automation that will generate a PDF output of the contents of that new row. I want to then create a link that I can share to anyone so they can view the PDF without driving them to the sheet itself. Is this possible?

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni

No it's not possible to share attachments with links that don't go to the sheet. Smartsheet stores attachments in AWS and any links that are provided (like through the API) are very short term temporary links for retrieval. It's not acting as a document repository like a Google Drive.

However, you might want to shift thinking a little bit on the attachments and sheets. It's a good thing to send people to the sheet to interact with attachments, because then they can see and open any other attachments as well as comment and collaborate on the item in a much richer way than just viewing a static file.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN