If then formula? or alternative

Smartsheet novice here.

I am attaching an image but what I am truing to achieve is this.

I have a product that takes 1 hour to install per unit. my team can install 8 per day so 1 installationday. however if the client orders 12 units, it will take 12 hours to install which would be two days, 40 units would take 5 days… I would like to put in a formula that will calculate the installation days based on hours to install cell. If 5 units, 1 day, if 12 units, 2 days, if 40 units, 5 days…. it's all based on 8 hour day.

I seems simple but I can't sort. Any ideas? Thanks!

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If 5 lights is a 5 hour installation then that is 5 units at 1 hour each and 8 hour days then that is

5x1 = 5/8 = 0.625 round up = 1

If you know the number of units and hours per unit - multiply those together - gives total hours

Then divide total by hours per day to get total days

Round up to get whole days.

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Rather than IFs with static values, could you multiply the quantity by the hours then divide by 8 and round up?

• Thanks for the reply. Not sure that works. If I'm following your process, if qty of 5 x 5 hours = 25/8 = 3.13 days. even rounding down that down gives me 3 days. 5 lights is a one day (5 hours installation). Got me thinking how else to sor this tho..

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If 5 lights is a 5 hour installation then that is 5 units at 1 hour each and 8 hour days then that is

5x1 = 5/8 = 0.625 round up = 1

If you know the number of units and hours per unit - multiply those together - gives total hours

Then divide total by hours per day to get total days

Round up to get whole days.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!