Sumif/s, VLookup or something else?

I'm in need of some formula help. I need a formula for the Males2 and Females2 columns on sheet 1, it should total up all the males/females from Sheet 2 and return that value to sheet 1. For example the result on sheet 1 for Number 2 should be 7 males and 5 females. The data is on two different sheets which shouldn't matter in the formula but I've tried just about every variation of sumif/ifs that I could find. I've just combined it onto one view to make it easier and dumb it down a bit. Thanks in advance

Tags:

Answers

• Georgie
    Georgie Employee
    edited 10/02/24

Hi @Amy Merrill,

For your Males2 column, try this: =SUMIFS({Males}, {Number}, [Number2]@row). This assumes your data is still on 2 different sheets - so the {Males} reference would be the Males column in Sheet 2, and the {Number} reference would be the Number column in Sheet 2.

You can then use a very similar formula in your Females2 column, but create a reference to the Females column in Sheet 2 instead, eg: =SUMIFS({Females}, {Number}, [Number2]@row)

Does that make sense? Here are some resources that may help you:

Hope that helps!

Georgie

• Amy Merrill
    Amy Merrill ✭✭✭

Thank you Georgie for taking the time to assist. The formula didn't work out and my data is on 2 different sheets so I'm having to reference another sheet. So how I entered this formula is =SUMIFS({Sheet Range1},{Sheet Range 2}, [Number]2row). Sheet range 1 is males, range 2 is number

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!