Issues adding an IF to COUNTIF

Hi everyone,

I figured out how to use COUNTIF to count items within a column.

=COUNTIF({Task Tracking - Phase}, "Initiation") + COUNTIF({Task Tracking - Phase}, "Planning") + COUNTIF({Task Tracking - Phase}, "Execution") + COUNTIF({Task Tracking - Phase}, "Close Out")

I would like to create a formula that does this same thing but only count them if {Task Tracking - Business Unit} "Payments".

I tried this Formula

=IF({Project Tracking - Business Unit}, "Payments" COUNTIF({Task Tracking - Phase}, "Clout Out") + COUNTIF({Task Tracking - Phase}, "Execution"))

I get an "UNPARSEABLE error.

Any thoughts on is wrong with the syntax? Thanks in advance.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Nic Larsen
    Nic Larsen ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Try this:

=COUNTIFS({Task Tracking - Phase}, OR(@cell = "Initiation", @cell = "Planning", @cell = "Execution", @cell = "Close Out"), {Task Tracking - Business Unit}, "Payments"

Answers

• So there is a comma missing in this I believe.

Without Screenshots my best guess is this:

{Project Tracking - Business Unit}: Assuming this is a Business Unit Column with Payments as an option in some cells.

You might want to try it again as this:

=IF({Project Tracking - Business Unit} = "Payments", COUNTIF({Task Tracking - Phase}, "Clout Out") + COUNTIF({Task Tracking - Phase}, "Execution"), "")

This says if the business unit column has payments in it then add the counts of the phases with Clout Out to the Count of Phases with Execution. If the business unit column has anything else then return a blank.

I didn't test this on my end but give it a try!

• Devin C.
    Devin C. ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/02/24

Hi @Dakota Haeffner,

Thanks for the reply. I get a #INVALID OPERATION error when I try that. And to simplify things I trimmed down the formula to get it to a functional state before adding things to it.

=IF({Project Tracking - Business Unit} = "Payments", COUNTIF({Task Tracking - Phase}, "Execution"), "")

I still get the #INVALID OPERATION with this one. I added a screen shot to help clear up my ask.

Here is a little bit more info on what I am trying to do. The data in the image is used in a metric sheet that produces the graph in the pic. It's for all tasks sheet wide and works great. I am trying to do the same thing but wanting to produce a graph that returns these counts for just the "Payments" Business Unit. So far I am still having issues retuning a count for just the Payments business unit.

• Nic Larsen
    Nic Larsen ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Try this:

=COUNTIFS({Task Tracking - Phase}, OR(@cell = "Initiation", @cell = "Planning", @cell = "Execution", @cell = "Close Out"), {Task Tracking - Business Unit}, "Payments"

• Devin C.
    Devin C. ✭✭✭✭

@Nic Larsen , Thank you very much. This works perfectly. I am not sure how the COUNTIF and OR functions work together like that but they do. This was great. Thank you.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!