Returning the highest value from a column where another column has potentially duplicate values

I'm a first-time poster, thanks in advance for any assistance!

My scenario is that I have many customer sites grouped under parent customers and each customer site is being upgraded in 1 of 3 cohorts (Alpha, Beta, and Charlie) which are occurring in that sequence over the course of a time period. I have added a cheater column to set a numerical value for Alpha (1), Beta (2), and Charlie (3) as I figured it might make a formula easier (i.e. look for the greatest value in the Cheater column)

I have a separate sheet where I have a list of all Parent Customers and need a formula that looks for and returns the highest Cohort for that Parent Customer.

For example, Client A should return "Cohort Charlie", Client B should return "Cohort Alpha", Client C should return "Cohort Charlie", and Client D should return "Cohort Beta" and these values should change if a Customer Site moves to a different Cohort (i.e. if Client D's Site 1 moves from Cohort Beta to Cohort Charlie then the latter should be returned as the value for Client D).

Tags:

Best Answer

• SSFeatures
    SSFeatures ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @ghislop,

If you are okay with always representing 1 as "Cohort Alpha, 2 as "Cohort Beta", and 3 as "Cohort Charlie", then this formula is simple and will work for you.

=IF(
        MAX(COLLECT({Cheater Range}, {Parent Customer Range}, [Client]@row)) = 1, 
        "Cohort Alpha",
        IF(
            MAX(COLLECT({Cheater Range}, {Parent Customer Range}, [Client]@row)) = 2, 
            "Cohort Beta", 
            IF(
                MAX(COLLECT({Cheater Range}, {Parent Customer Range}, [Client]@row)) = 3, 
                "Cohort Charlie", 
                ""
            )
        )
    )

The {Cheater Range} is a cross-sheet reference that selects the entire cheater column. The {Parent Customer Range} is a cross-sheet reference that selects that entire column. [Client] is a name that I just made up for your second sheet's client column, because the screenshot doesn't show what the name is.

Let me know if you have any questions!

SSFeatures - The browser extension that adds more features into SmartSheet.

• Automatic sorting, sorting with filters, saving sort settings
    • Spell checking
    • Report PDF generator that supports grouped and summarized reports

Answers

• SSFeatures
    SSFeatures ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @ghislop,

If you are okay with always representing 1 as "Cohort Alpha, 2 as "Cohort Beta", and 3 as "Cohort Charlie", then this formula is simple and will work for you.

=IF(
        MAX(COLLECT({Cheater Range}, {Parent Customer Range}, [Client]@row)) = 1, 
        "Cohort Alpha",
        IF(
            MAX(COLLECT({Cheater Range}, {Parent Customer Range}, [Client]@row)) = 2, 
            "Cohort Beta", 
            IF(
                MAX(COLLECT({Cheater Range}, {Parent Customer Range}, [Client]@row)) = 3, 
                "Cohort Charlie", 
                ""
            )
        )
    )

The {Cheater Range} is a cross-sheet reference that selects the entire cheater column. The {Parent Customer Range} is a cross-sheet reference that selects that entire column. [Client] is a name that I just made up for your second sheet's client column, because the screenshot doesn't show what the name is.

Let me know if you have any questions!

• Spell checking

• super, this appears to have the desired result. Nice work and thank you!

• SSFeatures
    SSFeatures ✭✭✭

You're welcome, glad that the formula worked!

• Spell checking

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!