Using Zapier to update a Form Sheet

Hi! I would love some insight on if I can use Zapier integration to update a form sheet.

I created a form for new job requisitions. I need to be able to receive updates from our legacy system as the status changes for each job req. Data Shuttle is not an option as the enterprise does not plan to support it. Could Zapier update rows based on a unique identifier? 4-5 fields would change overtime as requisition is created and closed

Any insight would be helpful.

Answers

• SSFeatures
    SSFeatures ✭✭✭

Hi @tellison,

Yes you can do this with Zapier to do this, here's how:

Create a new Find Sheet Row zap.

Select your Sheet. Then in "Query" put the unique identifier that exists in one of the columns for a row. For example, if you have a column named Unique IDs, and one of the rows has a unique ID of 1234, you can put "1234" in this Query box.

I put Asset 1, just because that's what my example sheet had. If you want to make this dynamic, you'll need to figure out a way to get the unique ID from your legacy system in a previous Zapier step, and then use that value in this Zapier step for the query.

This Find Sheet Row step will output the row's ID. This ID is what we will use to update the row. Note that this ID is different from your Unique ID column. This ID is an internal SmartSheet ID, and this is what SmartSheet requires for updating rows.

Create a new Zap step using the SmartSheet New Row Update action. Set Row ID to custom, and update this step to use the Row ID that was output from the previous Find Sheet Row step.

Next, click this refresh button so that Zapier will grab all of the columns from your sheet.

Then you're done! You can update the sheet however you want by modifying these columns. This is what my example sheet's columns look like:

The trickiest part will be how you get the data from your legacy system into Zapier. But if you already have that figured out then everything should work smoothly.

Hope this helps!

SSFeatures - The browser extension that adds more features into SmartSheet.

• Automatic sorting, sorting with filters, saving sort settings
    • Spell checking
    • Report PDF generator that supports grouped and summarized reports