Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Row Specific Notifications

Options
2»

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 01/28/16
    Options

Hi Crystal, apologies I was wrong in my suggestion. I deleted my previous comment. 

What we do internally at Smartsheet is after an employee submits a vacation web form, the user will send the row to their manager for approval using the Send Row feature.

You could build a report which shows all vacation requests for a supervisor. The report will always show the most up to date information whenever new requests are added. The supervisor can approve the requests directly from the report.

The report can be emailed to the supervisor as a PDF on a recurring basis. The only issue with sending it on a recurring basis, if there are no requests the resulting PDF will be blank. 

If you want to keep this automated, check out Zapier which utilized our API to perform automated actions. You could set up a Zap for each supervisor which will email the content of the row to the supervisor whenever a row is submitted.

Zapier is a paid program but they have a free version which may work for your needs. Check out https://zapier.com for more information. 

• Crystal Ford
    edited 01/28/16
    Options

That's what I thought, I have already built the reports. I will see if the email will suffice, Thanks!

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Travis,

I was going to address this to youWink, but now that Kate and Kennedy are on board, any update on this conditional alert feature from the roadmap? 

"Conditional Notifications" - Create advanced notification rules based on criteria such as Tasks Assigned to Me or Status is At Risk"

I'm going the report route at them moment...and I'm seeing I can do this in Zapier, but all of our purchases have to be done by a cumbersome PO process. 

I was hoping this enhancement would be forthcoming.

thanks,

Tim

• Shannon Morin
    Options

We have the same issue. That is, we have a sheet with a "Contact List" column. Each row represents a request made by that user to our accounting department. When each request is completed, we check a "Completed" box, which we'd like to automatically send a notification to the person in the "Contact List" field. I can't fathom why this feature exists for Reminders but not Notifications. In any case, this severly limits our full adoption of Smartsheet, and I keep having to move many of our data tables to SharePoint, since Smartsheet lacks what otherwise seem like simple features. Hopefully this feature will be enabled soon.

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 09/16/16
    Options

Hi All,

I realize this is an older post, but I wanted to mention that we're actively working on this feature. If you have ten minutes to spare, we'd love to get your participation in a usability study we're running.

For more information, see this annoncement:

https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/weigh-smartsheets-next-strategic-feature

• Crystal Ford
    Options

I'd be happy to participate!

• Erik Jensen
    Erik Jensen ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am a builder scheduling trades.  It would be great for my trades to get notified that their dates to show up have changed.  A more simple solution would be great here....

• Daniel Willis
    Options

I have a fix for row level alerts that is working great for my team. It requries you to add a checkbox column for each user interested in row level alerts then add a formula column with a formula to add the total character count of the row if the box is checked for that row, such as =IF([CheckBox]1 = 1, LEN(Story1) + LEN(Task1) + LEN([Task Detail]1) + LEN(Urgency1) + Sprint1, 0)

If one of your rows is used for number values you dont need the LEN just add it (like i did for Sprint1). This way any change will increase or decrease the character count so set your alert based on that count.

Count Alert.JPG

• Tamara Okoti
    Options

I am interested in seeing this feature added, as it would enable my team to collaborate more effectively. A notification that would send when specific criteria within a row or column are met. For example, reminder sent to "Person A" when "Person A" is selected from a dropdown list or from a contact.

This discussion has been closed.