Why can't I set trigger to hourly, daily or weekly?

Hello,

As you can see, it is a simple WF with no placeholders and the action appears to be an approved action when trying to set trigger to hourly, daily or weekly.

What am I not grasping here?

Thanks,

Ed

Best Answer

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/18/24 Answer ✓

It appears you want to update Status to "Request Closed" when "800Number" changes to any value. Now make the assumption that there's a row where that 800Number changes to some value - and in the same hour, it changes back to the original state BEFORE the trigger occurred. So the question you're asking is simple: Should the row in question trigger a change, or not? More importantly… should the terminal action (Change Cell Value) happen or not? Because both are true - and so you can't say the automation should or should not change your dataset. That ambiguity is why some Automations can't be run on a time cadence and instead are only possible to save with a "When triggered" setting.

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/18/24 Answer ✓

It appears you want to update Status to "Request Closed" when "800Number" changes to any value. Now make the assumption that there's a row where that 800Number changes to some value - and in the same hour, it changes back to the original state BEFORE the trigger occurred. So the question you're asking is simple: Should the row in question trigger a change, or not? More importantly… should the terminal action (Change Cell Value) happen or not? Because both are true - and so you can't say the automation should or should not change your dataset. That ambiguity is why some Automations can't be run on a time cadence and instead are only possible to save with a "When triggered" setting.

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

• Thanks Kerry. This makes perfect sense to me. I was not finding an adequate response looking through Smartsheet docs. Which is not to say it wasn't there, I was just having a devil of the time finding it.

BTW like the Jack Skellington!