Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Is there a way to set a default sort order on a sheet?

Wayne Pacholl
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I have an open issues list.  I would like it sorted by open/closed, then by priority.  I can do this manually each time, but I would like that as the default anytime someone access the sheet.  Is this possible?

Thanks.

Wayne

Tags:

Comments

• John Sauber
    John Sauber ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This cannot be set within the sheet itself. The proper place for this type of functionality is in a report.

• Thanks for the comment John.  From a productivity perspective, it would be nice to have a default option in the sheet.  I have the sheet up live during a status meeting and I want to make updates as we go through each issue.  Toggling between a report and the live sheet is a little awkward. I can sort it myself each time but if I leave the tab and return I have to keep resorting it.

Maybe in a future release.

• John Sauber
    John Sauber ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wayne, you can update and make changes to all of the data while you're working on the report, that is what makes it so powerful. You can choose to show all of the columns, or only the columns that matter during this particular presentation of data. You can add comments, attachments, edit row data all within the report. You cannot move rows around (but why would you want to when it sorts automatically?) or adjust the predecessor columns. You should make one and try it out before discounting it. We use reports very heavily to keep a known sort, and to distill the sheet's information for the particular purpose the report was created for.

• I too have this question of whether it's possible to set a default sort on a sheet. I keep a sheet of upcoming events that go in chronological order (sorted by the 'Start Date' column). If someone adds a new row/event that is out of order, I'm hoping there is a default sort so the row is automatically moved to the correct chronological place on the sheet.

• All I want is for the current sheet to remember my last sort, if I click the dropdown on the same column as last time, give me the same defaults as what I chose last time - REALLY annoying having to add 2 more sort criterias every single time....

Or - create automation options, a button or macro thingy - where I can execute the preset  sort option command with a click (using API is not useful when all my edits are in the UI)

This discussion has been closed.